Monday, January 7, 2013

Deep Thoughts from "Fried Green Tomatoes"

One of my favorite movies from the early 90's is Fried Green Tomatoes.  It's a great story of friendship and family.  Yesterday, during my day of rest and rejuvenation, this movie was on HBO.  It's one of those movies that you stop what you are doing and watch it - so that is what I did!

Kathy Bates plays a middle aged lady trying to find herself and her place in the world.  One of her quotes really hit me:

"I'm too young to be old and I'm too old to be young."

At 42, I really understand that.  I don't think I'm old, but I also know that I'm not young.  How do I know this?
  • OLD - I need reading glasses to read and write in addition to needing my contacts to be able to see far away.
  • YOUNG - Put Duran Duran on the iPod and I can dance like it's 1984!!
  • OLD - Like Kathy Bates's character, I have great insurance!!  I am excellent driver!
  • YOUNG - I can recite any scene from any John Hughes movie. 
  • OLD - I can still drink like a fish, but instead of taking one night to get over it, it can take the rest of the weekend.
  • YOUNG - I remember high school and college like it was yesterday.
  • OLD - I color my hair to cover my gray as much as I color it because I like being a blonde.
  • YOUNG - My heart still goes pitter-patter when I see John Cusack as Lloyd Dobler.
  • OLD - My mind pops awake when the alarm goes off - my body isn't as quick at getting out of the bed.  My feet crack and pop like an old lady.
  • YOUNG - Nothing makes me happier than cruising down the freeway with the sunroof open and jamming to music. Makes me think back to when I cruised Denton in the Nissan Sentra jamming to Vanilla Ice.  (I probably look/looked like a fool, but I don't care!!)
  • OLD - I have staff members on my campus that were born when I was in high school.... and..... .... college!!
  • OLD - Smart enough to know that the Bachelor doesn't work.... but.....
  • YOUNG - Still want to be the eternal romantic optimist!!
It's funny because I do feel that high school and college were yesterday, not 20+ years ago!!  I'm happy with my age (except the gray hair, creaky feet and inability to digest alcohol!) and I'm looking forward to what the future brings!!

Off to watch the Bachelor,
:) Mo


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that movie! I have not watched it in years. I need to watch it again. Great post!

Mo said...

Thanks, Heidi!!!