Saturday, January 2, 2010

Nine (2009)

Today, I went to see the musical "Nine." I wasn't sure about it, as I've heard mixed reviews from both critics and my friends. But as I love musicals, I wanted to see it and be my own judge.

The film revolves around Guido (Daniel Day-Lewis), an Italian director who can't come up with his next movie; despite the fact they are to begin shooting in ten days. As Guido desperately tries to figure out his movie, he interacts with the various women in his life: his wife Luisa (Marion Cotillard), his mistress Carla (Penelope Cruz), his muse Claudia (Nicole Kidman), his costume designer & producer Lilli (Dame Judi Dench), the American reporter Stephanie (Kate Hudson) and his Mamma (Sophia Loren). Throughout the movie, his relationships with these women evolve and change, some more than others.

Daniel Day-Lewis is a good actor - he makes you believe he is whatever character that he plays. I thought Marion Cotillard was fabulous, but I couldn't get over my disdain for Penelope Cruz (Vanilla Sky ruined her in my eyes). Kate Hudson was fabulous in a very small role as well. Fergie did a great job as Seraghina, the woman who introduces Guido (as a boy) to sex. Her song "Be Italian" is one of my favorites (as is Kate Hudson's "Cinema Italiano.") I've downloaded the soundtrack from iTunes - I enjoyed the music. The costumes and dance numbers were great as well.

I liked this movie - I need to see it again because I think I may have missed some things. If you like musicals, you'll like this movie.

Mo's Review:
Nine (2009): 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: