Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Soloist (2008)

When I got up at 6:20 this morning to let Maude out, it was sooo cold!! When I got up at 8 to walk her, it was 12 degrees. Needless to say, I've been useless today. I had Tivoed "The Soloist" last weekend while I was out at a party and decided today was the perfect day to watch it. Now, it took me most of the day because I took a few breaks to nap and Facebook.

This movie was a great movie, although it did make me sad. Robert Downey Jr. gets better as he gets older. He was fabulous as Steve Lopez, the LA Times writer looking for a story. Jamie Foxx plays Nathaniel Anthony Ayers Jr., a homeless musician who 30 years ago went to Julliard before his schizophrenia changed his life. Foxx was good in this role (but I couldn't get over his hair, it was creepy weird).

Lopez tries to befriend Ayers and make the homeless of LA (some 90K people) have better lives. Lopez still writes for the LA Times and Ayers lives in an apartment, but still has many issues.

Great movie, well written, well acted, lots to think about.......

Mo's Review:
The Soloist (2008): 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: