Sunday, January 31, 2010

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

So I ended up reading five books in January, not too shabby. I've been very happy with my book selections so far, and Half Broke Horses did not disappoint either.

I'm familiar with Jeanette Walls other book, "The Glass Castle." I had read it several years ago and then had the opportunity to hear her speak in September 2007 at Richardson Reads One Book. "The Glass Castle" is about her unusual and at times rather dysfunctional childhood. It's a wonderful book that I recommend. She was an incredible speaker, humorous and charming. I knew I'd want to read anything else she wrote.

So sister Sarah loaned me "Half Broke Horses." It's the story of Jeannette's maternal grandmother, Lily Casey Smith. Lily was an incredible woman, she taught school in one room schoolhouses, went to Chicago to find herself, and had a way with horses and ranching. She was no-nonsense and called it like she saw it.

The book chronicles her story from a young girl until both of her children are grown up and baby Jeannette is born. It's told in first person, but Walls does not call it a biography or a memoir; rather she calls it a novel because she filled in a few gaps based on what she thought her grandmother would do.

It's a fast read, interesting..... you are always wondering what Lily will be up to next. Is going to be a ranch worker? Or a teacher? Will she give up the life and try to be a city girl? You'll have to read to find out.

If you haven't read "The Glass Castle," I recommend reading this book first. As a matter of fact, I'm going to reread "The Glass Castle" next.... this book gives you a bit of insight about Jeannette's parents and I wonder if that would change my perception of them in "The Glass Castle."

Mo's Review:
"Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls, (2009, 270 pages): 4 out of 5 Stars

1 comment:

Laura said...

I got this book for Christmas and haven't started it yet. I read The Glass Castle a few years back and loved it, so I'm eager to get going with Half-Broke Horses!